Many people have smart-phones now. The latest smart-phones have 8 mega-pixel cameras and HD video, but what can we use all this high tech wizardry for? We can, of course, take good quality photos and video but we have come up with some unusual uses for your smart-phone so that you can make the most out of these expensive gadgets whilst you are on holiday.
1. Use your Sat Nav to pinpoint your hotel, so that when you get lost in the maze of streets that there are in some places, or you have had too much to drink and you can’t remember where you are staying, you can use your smart-phone to find your way back to your hotel.
2. Can’t remember your hotel room number? That’s easily solved. Take a picture of your hotel door, when you first arrive, showing your room number so that you can retrieve the photo if your memory fails you.
3. Have the website of the hotel on your smart-phone so that you can show it to your taxi driver when you arrive in a country where they don’t speak good English.
4. Looking for a good restaurant in a holiday resort that you have never been to before? Some holiday destinations have so many restaurants and so much choice that you can spend wasted time trying to decide where to go. Use your smartphone and look for reviews from previous customers.
5. Looking for a good book at the airport? Don’t just read the back cover to try and decide whether a book is worth buying. Choosing your holiday reading is serious business! The Samsung Galaxy S2 has a clever little application to make book buying easier. You can scan the bar code on the back of the book with your smart-phone and it will bring up all the book reviews on Amazon for that book, so you can see whether the book is worth buying.
6. Bitten by a snake? You need to know whether the snake is poisoness and how to survive a snake bite. Use your camera to take a photo of the offending snake so that you can show it to the paramedics. It could save your life!
7. Marvel at the night sky. Here in the UK it can be difficult to see the planets and stars even on a clear night. Other countries don’t have the same light pollution as the UK so you will see more of the night sky, but how do you recognise what’s up there? Well, if you download Google Sky Map and just point your phone at the sky for an accurate representation of the stars and planets on your screen. A mind boggling app. and free too!
8. Having a driving holiday in the UK? Download RAC Traffic. It guesstimates your location via the mobile signal, then pops up the current traffic alerts for your area. Brilliant!
9. Seen a pretty girl or cute guy in a bar whilst you are on holiday but don’t know how to break the ice? Well, just download the 101 chat up lines app. so that you have a great chat up line for every occassion. No social skills required!
10. Find a Wi Fi hotspot and use Skype to call home and beat expensive call charges from abroad.
Global Holidays is the travel agent for luxury holidays at low prices. Call today on 0845 299 4450.
More Holiday Tips