Us Brits have a reputation for queueing and being polite and reserved. Well, maybe I meant to say we used to be like that ! Complaining is always a good idea as in theory it should improve the customer service offered by those companies who receive the complaint. In the past we used to put up with inadequate service and poor products but times have changed and many people complain at the slightest thing. Maybe it’s the “no win no fee” philosophy that we find ourselves in here in the UK.
New research, however, suggests that we may be making far too many complaints and that our expectations are not being met. This might be particularly true for the holiday industry. It seems that many people who go abroad don’t know what to expect of a foreign holiday. This is because the holiday company Thomas Cook have given details of some of their most unusual complaints. See the list below for the complaints that Thomas Cook have had. Enjoy !
1. “I think it should be explained in the brochure that the local store does not sell proper biscuits like custard creams or ginger nuts.”
2. “It’s lazy of the local shopkeepers to close in the afternoons. I often needed to buy things during ‘siesta’ time – this should be banned
3. “On my holiday to Goa in India , I was disgusted to find that almost every restaurant served curry. I don’t like spicy food at all.”
4. “We booked an excursion to a water park but no-one told us we had to bring our swimming costumes and towels.”
5. A tourist at a top African game lodge over looking a water hole, who spotted a visibly aroused elephant, complained that the sight of this rampant beast ruined his honeymoon by making him feel “inadequate”.
6. A woman threatened to call police after claiming that she’d been locked in by staff. When in fact, she had mistaken the “do not disturb” sign on the back of the door as a warning to remain in the room.
7. “The beach was too sandy.”
8. “We found the sand was not like the sand in the brochure. Your brochure shows the sand as yellow but it was white.”
9. A guest at a Novotel in Australia complained his soup was too thick and strong. He was inadvertently slurping the gravy at the time.
10. “Topless sunbathing on the beach should be banned. The holiday was ruined as my husband spent all day looking at other women.”
11. “We bought’ Ray-Ban’ sunglasses for five Euros (£3.50) from a street trader, only to find out they were fake.”
12. “No-one told us there would be fish in the sea. The children were startled.”
13. “There was no egg slicer in the apartment…”
14. “We went on holiday to Spain and had a problem with the taxi drivers as they were all Spanish…”
15. “The roads were uneven..”
16. “It took us nine hours to fly home from Jamaica to England it only took the Americans three hours to get home.”
17. “I compared the size of our one-bedroom apartment to our friends’ three-bedroom apartment and ours was significantly smaller.”
18. “The brochure stated: ‘No hairdressers at the accommodation’. We’re trainee hairdressers – will we be OK staying here?”
19. “There are too many Spanish people.. The receptionist speaks Spanish. The food is Spanish. Too many foreigners..”
20. “We had to queue outside with no air conditioning.”
21.. “It is your duty as a tour operator to advise us of noisy or unruly guests before we travel.”
22. “I was bitten by a mosquito – no-one said they could bite.”
23. “My fiancé and I booked a twin-bedded room but we were placed in a double-bedded room. We now hold you responsible for the fact that I find myself pregnant. This would not have happened if you had put us in the room that we booked.”
Global Holidays is the travel agent for cheap holidays. Call us FREE on 0800 433 2300.